Slovak glass designer and glass artist. 1965 – 1972 Studied electrical engineering. Worked for the Optika co. in Bratislava. Concerned with studio glass. He makes glass sculptures and objects, solo opuses, compositions and coupled glass pieces. These excellent works have been created in the artist’s studio, workshop and kiln with the necessary technological equipment since .....
Slovak glass designer and glass artist. 1965 – 1972 Studied electrical engineering. Worked for the Optika co. in Bratislava. Concerned with studio glass. He makes glass sculptures and objects, solo opuses, compositions and coupled glass pieces. These excellent works have been created in the artist’s studio, workshop and kiln with the necessary technological equipment since 1993/1994. The essence of their “spiritual” origin, quality and value derives from the personality of Andre Jakab: talent and determination; tenacity and professionalism; creativity and artistic ambition; a wide range of inspiration, fantasy and imagination; contemplation and feeling for glass shapes and forms; brilliantly mastered execution … The resulting works display the artist’s confidence in rendering, the power and refinement of the sculptural / architectural stylization, the harmony and contrast of the surface and interior; the magic and suggestive transparency; the magic of colours and light in the “body and soul” of glass. He has achieved it with the understanding and support of his family, wife and two sons cooperating with him. This demonstrates their artistic and human solidarity and creative synthesis.
Andre Jakab gives his works the titles indicating possible sources of inspiration and meaning. The natural environment is represented for instance by lava, corals, a tree, a delicate dragonfly and a flying bird. The human world is presented in the symbolic form: Icarus, Arcimboldo, Salvador (Dalí), a monk and a clown, Nemo and Man. There is also object inspiration such as a fan, a necklace, a tooth, a sailing boat, Nautilus, Nemo, a Mongolfiera (hot air balloon) and a net. Geometrical shapes include a 3D cube, a cuboid, a pyramid, a stela, delta and wall. Andre Jakab materializes and reflects in the shapes, stylization and composition psychological states, feelings and processes; metamorphoses and concurrency; a dialogue between couples and also universe; dimensions and space. Perhaps his works also display the crystalline origin and glass infinity…
Despite the adversity of the period before the revolution, he managed to achieve artistic recognition by virtue of his tenacity, craftsmanship and precision.
Andre Jakab has cooperated with many renowned glassmakers. He refines his objects until he is convinced of their perfection and never regrets time and effort. Glass is an amazing material because it reflects everything on and under the surface. It is not possible to cheat, with glass. It has the fourth dimension, and this may be the reason of his fascination for this material. Work with glass is a “confidential talk” for him. “It requires endless patience and humility.” Naturally, technological knowledge and long-time experience is necessary and so is a special feeling for design and artistic rendering.
This glass is a real and “magical” aesthetic. It acts as visual signals and beacons, radiating light and colours. Such an opus is like a glass “monstrance”. It produces the light of artistic faith. It extols the glass catharsis. It is an illusion of a glass castle. It is a form of “nobility” amongst the artefacts of Modernism and Postmodernism.
EXHIBITIONS SINCE 1987
- Galerie Mitte Berlin Germany
- Galerie d`Amon Paris France
- Arte Vetro Gallery Tel Aviv Israel
- Glass Art Gallery Toronto Canada
- Biaf`90 Barcelona Spain
- Salon International D`art Conterporain Strassbourg France
- Galerie Art Et Creations Lyon France
- Studio Glass Gallery London England
- Artpoint Gallery Wien Austria
- Galerie Rob Van Den Doel Haag Holland
- Galerie Rob Van Den Doel Prag Czechoslovakia
- Suomen Lasimuseo Riihimaki Finland
- Galerie L Hamburg Germany
- Galerie Art Du Verre Luxemburg
- Galerie Ars Temporis Klagenfurt Austria
- Galerie Klutte Wien Austria
- Galerie Waldrich Munchen Germany
- Ezzo Gallery Wien Austria
- Glas Galerie Broft Leerdam Holland
- First Glas Galerie Munchen Germany
- Galerie Place Des Arts Montpellier France
- Plateaux Gallery London England
- Galerie Nadir Annecy France
- Galerie L`Eclat du Verre Paris France
- Chateau-Musee Boulogne-Sur-Mer France
- Kunstler Aus Der Slowakei Frauenfeld Germany
- Etienne Gallery Oisterwijk Holland
- Galerie Sous Terre Holland
- Pan Amsterdam Holland 2004-2011 (Gallery Rob Van Den Doel, Ettienne Gallery)
- Contemporary Art Centre Schalkwijk Holland
- Mark Peet Visser Gallery `S-Hertogenbosch Holland
- Gallery Van Loon & Simmons Vught Holland
- Broft/van der Horst den Haag Holland
- ART & ANTIQUES FAIR `S-HERTOGENBOSCH Holland 2012
- Shanghai SH Contemporary Art Fair 2012
- Biennale Brabant Tilburg 2012
- Gallery Sikabonyi Vienna Austria
- ART&ANTIQUE Hofburg Vienna Austria 2013
- Art center HOrus, Sint-Martens-Latem Belgium, 2014
- Continuum Gallery, Königswinter Germany, 2017
- RedMoon Gallery, Melbourne Australia, 2019
- The Gallery at four India, Nantucket USA, 2019
- Corning Museum Of Glass Usa
- Ernsting Stiftung Coesfeld Germany
- Museum Jan Van Der Togt Amstelven Holland
- Sir Elton John
- Danemark, Japan, Usa…
ONE MAN SHOW
- Rob Van Den Doel Gallery Den Haag Holland 1997 2000 2001 2002
- Art Glass Centre Schalkwijk Holland
- Galerie Ars Temporis Klagenfurt Austria
- Etienne Gallery Oisterwijk Holland 2006-2012
- Galeria Nova Bratislava Slovakia 1999
- Gallery van Loon & Simons, van den Doel, Vught Holland 2012
- Broft/ Van Der Horst Gallery Den Haag Holland 2012
- Van Loon Gallery, Vught Holland, 2016,2018
Thank you for joining us!
Thank you for celebrating the first annual
Glass Art Fair!
We are honored to that you have taken the time to join us in a celebration of art.
The artists in this exhibition are sharing their work from around the world.